A Lifestyle Blog in Collaboration with ix-Xirja
For food lovers, in particular, ones who like to prepare quick meals or snacks, without too much fuss and preparation, I ve got news for you!
You might have heard the term “Piadina”. If you haven’t, it’s basically an Italian Flatbread, a yeast-free soft dough made on the stove top. A perfect kind of wrap for all of your favourite fillings. Fast, Easy and so Tasty. Great news is that Francis Busuttil & Sons are now importing the Loriana Piadina and it is available in leading supermarkets on the island.
Photos by Branko Stoilov
The Loriana is made according to the rules established by the PGI instructions, it has all the flavour of the traditional piadina from Romagna. Each package contains 3 Piadine (350 g)
So, when I received few samples to try out, I took an afternoon off to visit my dad’s with my friend Ana Bel, and while we were there, we created a couple of recipes using the Loriana piadina which is very easy to use. I like this way of spending time with loved ones, creating content to share on the Blog with you!
There are different ways. You can either heat your Loriana L Piadina in the microwave for 30 seconds at 600 watts or on a preheated pan for 1 minute. Folded or rolled up? That s up to you. The important thing is to stuff it with all your favourite ingredients and enjoy!
Remember to keep the package in a cool and dry place and, once opened, store it in the refrigerator. Enjoy your meal!
RECIPE OPTION 1: Piedina with salmon and grilled vegetables
• Palm size of salmon
• few olives
• few capers
• chopped tomatoes
• 2 eggs
• Grab Palm size of salmon and place on a piece of foil, add 1 teaspoon capers, 3 black olives, 3 chopped
• tomatoes and sprinkle some oregano, close the foil and put in oven at 180deg until cooked
• Cook eggs separately
• Stir fry half green pepper, and half red pepper, and half a courgette and serve with the salmon.
Insert filling into Piadina and Serve warm.
RECIPE OPTION 2: Piedina with Minced Beef and Vegetables
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion ,
• 1 red capsicum / bell pepper
• 2 garlic cloves ,
• 200g ground beef (mince) ,
• 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp EACH cumin, black pepper
• 1 tsp each onion powder, dried oregano (or other herb of choice)
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1 dried bay leaf
• 1 1/4 cups (225g) long grain white rice
• 2 cups (500 ml) beef broth
• Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
• Add beef, cook until brown, breaking it up as you go.
• Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
• Turn heat down to medium. Add rice and beef broth, mix well. Add veggies of your choice and bay leaf, then stir.
• Place lid on, lower heat to medium low so it’s simmering gently. Cook for 12 – 15 minutes (might even take longer) until all liquid is absorbed (tilt pot to check). The rice should be just cooked, but will be wet.
• Remove from heat. Put the lid back on. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
• Serve the filling in the Piadina or on the side
Hope you enjoyed these recipes as much as we enjoyed eating the Piadinas!
Photos by Branko Stoilov