The Calypso Hotel is a charming 4 star boutique hotel situated just along the water’s edge in the peaceful fishing village of Marsalforrn boasting stunning views of the Mediterranean sea and the beautiful Gozitan countryside. After catching the 20 minute ferry boat from Cirkewwa to Mgarr Gozo and drove to the hotel some 15 minutes away, we checked in and kick started what was to be a lovely relaxing getaway weekend for me and my little family including my 3 year old daughter Luna who loves going on little adventures with us.
Marsalforrn is a peaceful Gozitan village. With charisma and personality, this little town located by the sea is a super resort for a peaceful and tranquil Gozo vacation, perfect for family outings I would say. Gozo is well-renowned for its beautiful bays offering fantastic swimming and diving opportunities, it is also a popular destination for it’s splendid countryside which also offers some spectacular walking opportunities.
What we were after was a little break from our busy routines to a peaceful and hassle-free destination, where we could relax and unwind. We did not plan many sightseeing things this time except a visit to the Ta Pinu Shrine on Saturday morning. TheCalypso Hotel was an excellent opportunity for us to really chill and enjoy our company and our surroundings. No appointments, no rush to get anywhere, just enjoying the moment. It was so sweet to see my daughter Luna sleep in her little bed in the suite and thanks to the WiFi she too enjoyed watching Peppa Pig and a few episodes of Daniel Tiger before she would fall asleep at night.
As some of you might have seen via our Instagram Stories and videos, upon arrival, we found this little treat from the management. Thank you!
All of the rooms at the hotel have been designed in a modern decor with bright fabrics and furnishings. Individual services and facilities expected in a 4 star hotel of the standard enjoyed by the Calypso hotel are provided for the comfort of the guests.
A few reasons why we enjoyed this hotel:
1. Beautiful view from our room of the fishing village and the beach below. A few minutes sitting or standing in one of the terraces overlooking the bay puts you right at ease and in relaxation mode.
2. We enjoyed listening to the sounds of the waves, the sounds of children playing on the beach during the day and listening to the little fishing boats leaving or entering the bay.
3. Apart from all the excellent amenities available and inhouse restaurant options, there are a multitude of restaurants to wine and dine in close proximity to the hotel so for food lovers, this is also a fab option for all these close at hand. We dined at one of them on Friday night. It was called Oro da Milano (Gold from Milan) and it was a divine dining experience.
4. The staff are very friendly and helpful so you feel welcome here.
5. The breakfast is amazing. We have enjoyed many breakfasts but this one, for a 4 star hotel is splendid. We had a selection from several fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurts and cakes and also meats, and savoury options. Like some 5 star hotels, there was also a chef preparing tailor-made omelettes for us too. Gluten free options too.
6. Small pool on the rooftop was suitable for us to enjoy with our little 3 year old daughter. It is not a large pool but just enough to keep ourselves refreshed in the hot summer sun.
7. Air-conditioning in the room was excellent. You know sometimes you go to some hotels and the ac is barely felt. This one was the complete opposite and we slept very well.
8. Barbecue night on Saturday. On Saturday they offer a generous high quality barbecue night led by 3 Italian chefs and for the price of 25 E per person, it included so much to choose from that we barely could finish our plates. With some music entertainment and a friendly musician, our daughter had a whale of a time singing and dancing so that made us happy too.
9. WiFi is excellent so it was easy for me to do a couple of hours work, some social media posting and blogging throughout our stay.
10. Last but not least, I was pleasantly surprised with all the extra services on offer including the services of a hairdresser in your room should you need it. You know how I love to look groomed at all times so for me the fact that this service apart from room service, laundry cleaning and baby sitting was offered, it won them several brownie points. So ladies, you have not a worry in the world here. This 4 star hotel has it all covered.
So, for those guests who want a much slower Gozo vacation, and I do not recommend you visit in August, you can relax over drinks in Calypso Hotel’s terrace bar, enjoy the morning or afternoon sun on the roof terrace, browse through the complimentary newspapers or simply enjoy a swim in the outdoor pool. We had a splendid time here and I do recommend it to you my followers and friends.
I would just like to say Thank You to all the management and staff who were so welcoming to me and my family and I would like to congratulate you all for the great work you do day in day out to keep travellers happy and to help us all make more memories to last us a lifetime.
Love and light to you all!
Travel and Fashion Blogger at www.graziellecamilleri.com
Photos: Grazielle Camilleri